Archive for July, 2008
Brian Teigland, long time Memphis weather forecaster will be remembered during a memorial tribute Saturday, August 2, at Bellevue Baptist Church in Cordova at 10am. Everyone is invited to attend. More information…
Tags: Brian Teigland
To follow up on the post from May 29, Mad Men begins this Sunday, July 27 at 9p central on AMC. Patrick Scullin wrote an interesting commentary on advertising during the early sixties as portrayed in Mad Men. He calls it, “An Ad Man on ‘Mad Men“.
While I didn’t start my advertising career until the late 70s, These were the days before fax machines, cell phones, cable, computers and email. We bought media the old fashion way, poured through rating books and heavy handed negotiations. And the drinking and schmoozing was quite prevalent in the business. Things have changed…not better, not worse, only different.
Tags: Mad Men
B.B. King will begin hosting a new Blues and Gospel music show in September on XM radio channel 74, recently renamed “B.B. King’s Bluesville”. With roots here in Memphis, B.B. King is a Blues music icon and will share his passion, stories and favorite music with the XM listeners. Here’s the whole story.
Here are the Top 10 newly coined words compiled from various sources by the folks at Cramer-Krasselt:
1. Luxcession: v. – As the economy continues to hit consumers’ wallets affecting their purchasing choices, many mass-class luxury items are also taking a hit.
2. Dotcomrade: n. – A friend or acquaintance that you met online but have never met in person.
3. Greenwashing: n. – The practice of bogus environmental marketing.
4. Info Snacking: v. – Wasting time at work by surfing the Web.
5. Blacking Out: v. – To turn off any device that people can reach you with (cell phone, two-way, computer, home phone, morse code, etc.) in order to avoid someone.
6. Compunicate: v. – To chat with someone when you are in the same room, each on separate computers, and you talk via Instant Messenger instead of speaking to them out loud, in person.
7. Defriend: v. – To remove somebody from your established list of contacts, considered the ultimate snub on social network.
8. Generica: n. – Features of the American landscape that are exactly the same no matter where you go such as strip malls and fast food places.
9. Mouse Potato: n. – The online generation’s answer to the couch potato.
10. Googleganger: n. – Another individual with the same name as you whose records and/or stories are mixed in with your own when you Google yourself.
Did you see it? Yesterday at 5pm, WMC TV began their high definition broadcast of the local news. They are the first Memphis television station to present their local news in HD.